What to Look for in Heavy Goods Vehicle Insurance
A heavy goods vehicle is broadly defined as one being between 7.5 and 44 tonnes in weight. The size of these vehicles combined with the fact that they’ll be on the road a great deal of time means that finding the right heavy goods vehicle insurance policy is essential, and here are just a few things you need to look for.
• Level of cover. Finding a policy that can offer the right level of cover is vital, but once the legal requirement is met it’s often up to you which level you decide upon. Third party is normally the bare minimum but in this industry it’s often best to go for more comprehensive cover, thereby ensuring complete protection for valuable peace of mind.
• Added extras. It’s a good idea to see what added extras can be included, because again, it makes sense to be prepared. There are plenty you could choose from with breakdown assistance, vehicle replacement cover and legal protection often being worthwhile, so always discuss your needs with your insurer.
• Goods allowance. Because of the nature of these vehicles it’s a good idea to check what kind of goods your insurer will allow you to carry, but as a general rule policies will allow most goods with the exception of hazardous items (although even then you’ll often be able to tailor your policy to suit).
• European cover. Travelling to Europe will be a common occurrence for many hauliers and so making sure your policy includes this level of cover is essential, and luckily most specialist companies understand this requirement and will include European cover as standard.
• Additional policy options. Often a basic policy simply isn’t enough and things like goods in transit cover and liability insurance will always to be considered, and luckily most of these items can be easily added to your current policy for complete ease of use.
These are just a few things you need to look for in heavy goods vehicle insurance, and if you bear them in mind you’ll have a policy that perfectly meets your requirements.